1. Don’t overthink it.
“I’m interested in crystals, but how do I choose one?” - if I had a dollar every time I was asked this, I’d be a rich-rich! But seriously, I get it. I was once asking the same thing and trying to figure it all out. Here are my tips for choosing a crystal.
Yup, this piece of advice is coming from an overthinker! :) But it’s my first tip for a reason, it’s incredibly easy to get overwhelmed and as a result, do nothing. I get it - there’s so much information about crystals, what each is for, how to use them, etc and it’s sometimes confusing (and often conflicting). So how do you know what to pick? That leads me to my next tip.2. Trust your intuition.
Often when I’ve shared this tip, I could sense that the person I was talking to thought it was a cop-out, but really: Trust your intuition! Whether you choose the crystal or the crystal chooses you - take notice of what you’re drawn to. Sometimes it’s color, shape, or just the overall appearance of the stone. No matter the reason, trust your gut. I can’t tell you how many times early on I chose a stone because I was drawn to it, and once I researched to learn more, found out it was exactly what I needed! My first experience with Howlite I couldn’t explain it, but I was drawn to the pattern and I just loved the stone. I bought a Howlite pendant on a chain, and although I never sleep in my jewelry, I wore that pendant to bed Every. Single. Night. For whatever reason, it seemed to help me sleep, but I had no idea why - it just did. When I started researching Howlite to learn more about it, I found that it’s good for reducing stress and anxiety, slowing an overactive mind and helping to achieve a deep and restful sleep. At the time I had been dealing with insomnia for months. I couldn’t seem to turn my thoughts off, causing me to be up into the wee hours of the night, just hoping to get some sleep before the alarm went off. All of this to say - trust your intuition!3. Choose based on color.
Colors are all around us, and whether we realize it or not, they have the ability to impact moods, feelings, and behaviors. I’ve included a few universal color meanings to consider when choosing a crystal.
- Black: Grounding and protection. Use for grounding, protecting your space, and to ward off negativity.
- Red: Action and power. Use for taking initiative, following your passions, and for personal transformation.
- Orange: Creativity and change, as well as success and balance. Use for making art, exploring your sensuality, and seeking pleasure.
- Yellow: Willpower and optimism. Use for boosting your confidence, staying focused, and raising ambition.
- Pink: Love and compassion. Use for connecting with love, healing, attracting romance, and cultivating self-compassion.
- Green: Abundance, luck and growth. Use for attracting luck, manifesting prosperity, and fostering personal growth.
- Blue: Clarity and communication. Use for improving communication skills, getting clear on your needs, and gaining clarity around you.
- Purple: Spirituality and intuition. Use for connecting with your spiritual self and leaning into your intuition.
- White/Clear: Purity and peace. Use for cleansing your space, amplifying intentions, and attracting clarity.
If you are seeking a crystal for a specific purpose, do your research to help narrow down your choices. For example, let’s say you’re looking for a crystal to assist with stress and anxiety. You do your research and find that in addition to Howlite, Amethyst and Lepidolite are also good choices, but you just can’t decide. Use your intuition - are you drawn to one crystal more than the others? Or maybe you’re drawn to another factor such as its shape or color.5. Ask for a recommendation.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help. I personally love helping others find their crystal bestie! If you need an assist, don’t hesitate to use the chat function on the site, send me an email or even a DM on Facebook or Instagram. Include a little info about what you’re looking for help with and I’ll make a few recommendations. You’ll still need to use your intuition, see what your drawn to by color and/or shape, etc, but it will at least get you on the right path for the perfect crystal for your needs.
What are you tips for choosing a crystal? Let me know in the comments.